Scientists were looking for hydrothermal vents and thanks to some crabs, they found a whole field, Learn how…
ECUADOR AMAZON EXPLORING CUYABENO RESERVE
Taking a trip to the Ecuadorian Amazon is like entering a world of fantasy and mystery. Full of exuberant vegetation, majestic trees through which monkeys roam, and wonderful birds in the skies. Long rivers and wonderful landscapes worthy of a postcard. Will make your trip a memorable experience. Continue reading this post and enjoy this Ecuador Amazon and Cuyabeno Reserve guide.
The Amazon basin, and the Ecuadorian Amazon in particular, is home to a truly amazing biodiversity. Crossed by rivers which flow into the Amazon. The Ecuadorian part of this great forest, also known as “el Oriente”. Is an extremely diverse region due to the different levels of altitude close to the Andes.
In addition, Amazon has a tropical temperature, high rainfall and a good location. Therefore, it has a great biodiversity and endemism.
The Ecuadorian Upper Amazon Basin is not only home to a diversity of flora and fauna. It is also the seat of several indigenous nations. These ancestral communities have their own characteristic features such as language, customs and worldview. What definitely fills you with curiosity to know!
HIGHLIGHTS OF AMAZON RAINFOREST
- The Amazon rainforest is the largest tropical forest on Earth. It crosses eight countries in South America: Bolivia, Brasil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, French Guiana, Peru, and Suriname.
- Ecuador Amazon is an ideal place for hiking and expedition lovers, wildlife observation, canoe, rafting trips. And also life experiences with communities.
- The Amazon region is home to two uncontacted indigenous communities. The Taromenane and the Tagaeri. Both tribes live within the limits of the Yasuní National Park. Where their rights, including the right to be left alone, are protected by Ecuador’s Constitution.
- The Ecuadorian Amazon concentrates several Protected Areas. The Yasuní National Park and Biosphere Reserve, Sumaco Napo Galeras, Cayambe-Coca, Llanganates and Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve.
CUYABENO WILDLIFE RESERVE
Cuyabeno Reserve, a hidden paradise in Ecuador Amazon, a home and habitat for countless plant and animal species. This reserve is home to more than 500 different species of colorful birds. From small hummingbirds to the majestic harpy eagle, which can only be seen in this area of the jungle.
Cuyabeno, stretching into both the Sucumbíos Province as well as the Orellana Province. At north of the beautiful and diverse Yasuni National Park. Cuyabeno is one of the most importants natural reserves of the region.
Unlike other protected areas, this reserve is the only one located in the foothills of the Andes. This wildlife reserve is named in honor of the Cuyabeno River. Which overflows at its midpoint creating a complex of 14 lagoons and also the largest wetlands in the Ecuadorian Amazon.
WHY VIVIST CUYABENO?
If you decide to visit this magical place. You should know that during the trip you will be a spectator of all the animal life that exists. Cuyabeno is the territory of dolphins, manatees, caimans, anacondas and the guarango de agua, the most unique tree in this reserve.
One of the highlights of Cuyabeno is its narrow branches. That is, while navigating the river, as the banks are so close, you can really feel that you are in the jungle.
Another interesting thing you have to know about the reserve. It is home to five different tribes: the Siona, Secoya, Cofan, Quichua and Shuar. For example, the Siona live in the upper Imuya, along the Tarapuy River. While the Secoya and Cofán live closer to the Putumayo and Aguarico Rivers.
Each community has its own customs, beliefs and practices. But their common characteristic is the importance of nature in their way of life. Among their daily activities are hunting, fishing and gathering. Another of their shared values is the importance of shamans. A shaman is a spiritual leader who guides community members through rituals and even acts as the healer of the house. These leaders are respected and revered by the entire community.
If you want to feel even more involved in this amazing reserve. We tell you that there are some options of lodges with top quality services and activities that will make you feel a true jungle experience. Read on to learn more.
Jambu lodge, whose name means Armadillo in “paicoca” the Siona indigenous language. This wonderful ecolodge is located in the Cuyabeno Reserve of Ecuador Amazon. Is 15 minutes from the Laguna Grande on the banks of the Cuyabeno River.
Jambu is a lodge that practices a policy of minimum environmental impact and care for nature. Its design includes, use of solar panels, bio system to keep the impact of pollution through the use of enzymes. And also they use a waste management composting system.
The entrance to the lodge can only be done by river transport using canoes with ecological engines, this transport service is coordinated with the local communities who provide the service. In other words, a truly natural place.
TIPS AND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A JUNGLE TRIP
If you are traveling for the first time to the Ecuador Amazon. Here are some tips and recommendations that will help you to make your trip successfully.
- The rainforest is one of the places in the world where it rains the most during the year. So it is important that you pack waterproof ponchos, sweaters and rain boots in your suitcase. In the same way. It is better to wear long pants and shirts, all in light material and preferably quick drying.
- The Amazon is a very hot place and a destination for adventure and exploration. So you should wear comfortable clothes, preferably light colors (dark colors attract insects).
- Being a jungle place, there are many insects and animals. So it is important to always bring with you insect repellent spray, but it is nothing to worry about.
- Finally, you can include in your suitcase some painkillers for headache or discomfort of itching of some bugs.
- The vaccination against yellow fever and tetanus should be done at least 10 days before the trip.
Don’t miss the opportunity to get to know this amazing place and live a jungle adventure! Here we show you more tours that you can enjoy in the Ecuador Amazon.